You'll probably notice this post has a few links. These items were the actual suggestions of the dog moms I spoke to because they use and love them. There are no affiliate links in this post.
In a hurry and just want to pack? Scroll to the bottom to get your free PDF checklist!
Summer is officially in full swing, travel plans are being made, you're researching the best dog friendly hotels and activities in the area. Then, all the sudden, it's time to pack. I don’t know how you are, but I’m both the last minute packer and the person who triple checks the suitcases the day before we leave (mostly because I’m doing it last minute and don’t have days to suddenly remember something). But whether you’re like me or you’re more type A, it doesn’t change the fact that there is so much to think about when you travel, especially if you’re traveling with pets. So when you’re planning a trip the easier you can make it the better!
That’s where this post comes in. It’s your one stop list for packing everything you need for your pets.
Now I have a confession to make. I don’t travel with my pets often. I have two giant breeds, two cats, a fish, and three human children so even going for a day trip is like herding cats. As an events coordinator for a pet shelter though, I would pack every weekend and take a group of dogs to events all over central Florida. This job definitely gave me a good since of the basic necessities, and I learned some bonus tips too, but when it comes to giving your pets the first class traveling experience I went to some experts.
I am so grateful to the three amazing dog moms that were willing to share with me for this post. I have to say I’m not only passing this on to you, I’m taking notes too! I am so in love with all of these dogs and their adventures and can’t wait to peek into their suitcases!!
First up is the adorable duo Ana and Teddy. If you’ve never met them they have an Instagram page @southflorida_teddybear where they host “Tours with Teddy” a video series where Teddy tours some amazing dog friendly places around South Florida including hotels, restaurants, and even historical sites! When asked for of her must pack items for Teddy his mom said:
- A collapsible food/water dish
- A pet safe car seat
- Dog stroller
- Pee pads
- Dog treats – they use Bocce
- Dog accessories: bandanas, caps and sunglasses (you should see this boy’s glasses collection!)
- And a duck whistle to get his attention for photos if he’s not listening (Hello! Genius! This is why he’s a dogfluencer and I’m a designer)
Next is the fabulous Sammie and Maddie. These two little Yorkie girls are fashion icons in tiny packages. I hardly ever see them without their hair bows and pearls. Maddie even won the place of Winter Carnival Queen one year, and these little girls are nothing short of royally treated. Their mom’s must pack list includes:
- A water bottle – This one is their favorite
- Extra hair elastics. Mom says these are a necessity because if their hair tie breaks they can’t see (I’m sure some of you long haired dog moms feel this one)
- A couple harnesses and leashes – She loves the Buddy Belts
- Their crochet blanket from @miss.sophie.bowtique
- Their carrier from @suzysfashionfordogs
- And a couple sweaters or shirts with matching hair bows. Their mom said this is especially important if it’s going to get cold (I love that she packs the complete ensemble and not just a sweater)
Last up is Last up is the crew from Critters in the Cottage (Duffy, Wilhelmina, Avalon, and their mom Sophie). I love the way this group spends time together. They are really getting out and enjoying life! If you check out their Instagram page you'll see photo after photo of them climbing rocks, sniffing trees, running along the beach and posing for pictures. And usually wearing something adorable while doing it! This Canadian group keeps it simple on day trips so they can enjoy the great outdoors. Here's their must pack day trip list
- Water (So important if you're going to be outside!)
- Poop Bags
Not going to lie, I kind of want to take a trip with my dogs right now, just so I can use the tips from these ladies. So if you’re ready to go too, here’s everything in one organized list for you. FYI if you want a checklist PDF scroll to the bottom of the page to grab it and get packing!
Absolute necessities (the things your pet can’t get along without)
- Food and Water Dishes
- Food for the trip - measure out what you’ll need plus a few extra servings.
- Dog Treats
- Poop bags
- Leash and collar/harness
- Any needed medications
- A towel or two – I don’t know where you’ll use it yet, but your probably will
- Seatbelt or dog car seat
- Dog safe sunscreen - especially for short haired and hairless dogs
- Rabies tag/ certificate
- Ointment for cuts or booboos
- Your vet’s phone number or the number of a vet nearby where you’ll be
- Pet carrier
For the Hotel
- Pee pads
- Toys - you really don’t want your sweet baby getting bored and finding something else to chew on – like the couch
Pampered Dog Necessities
- Dog Stroller
- Clothes and Accessories – don’t forget to check the weather forecast
- Extra hair ties
- Favorite blankets
- Paw balm
- Pet bed – unless of course they’ll just be sleeping in bed with you
And if you’re looking to freshen up your pet’s wardrobe before a big trip don’t forget to browse through Loved and Pampered Pets. Handmade dog clothes that are made with your pet pampering, photo taking, busy dog mom lifestyle in mind.
Leaving soon? Save your time and brain power for planning a great trip, and get the printable checklist version of this post. Just check and go!
Not taking trips yet? Pin this post for later!